Quake III 1.30 Readme
NOTABLE CHANGES IN QUAKE III AND TEAM ARENA - (1.30)
- IF YOU ARE HAVING MOUSE SENSITIVITY ISSUES WITH THIS, AND THE VERSION 1.29g POINT RELEASES PLEASE READ THIS - This and the last version of the point releases, were compiled with a new version of Direct Input that may have changed your mouse sensitivity. If you have noticed a change, we have a fix for you. The cvar \in_mouse can be used to set the "feel" of the sensitivity back to previous versions of Quake III. At the console type:
\in_mouse 1 - To get the same "feel" as version 1.27h. This is the default "feel" that was shipped with Team Arena.
\in_mouse -1 - To get the same "feel" as version 1.17 of Quake III. These are the only 2 "feels" that Quake III and Team Arena have ever had, so one of the settings should get you back on track.
\in_restart - must be used to initialize both of the above commands.
- NEW id CREATED PRO MAPS - One of our newer employees, Fred Nilsson, is an avid fan tournament style game play, and is very interested in the professional gaming community. Via feedback from professional Quake 3 players, Fred has made some modifications to some of the more popular maps that shipped with Quake 3 including "The Camp Grounds", "Lost World", "The Proving Grounds", and "Vertical Vengeance" You can play them in the single player game by advancing to tier 7, or run them on your server by using the map names "PRO-Q3DM6", "PRO-Q3DM13", "PRO-Q3TOURNEY2" and, "PRO-Q3TOURNEY4". These are a lot of fun! Give them a try!
- NEW NETWORK CODE - There is a new compression system built into the network code of the latest point release. Essentially, this reduces the bandwidth usage of Quake 3 and Team Arena by a ratio of 5:1 over previous versions of the game. Modem players, as well as everyone else, should experience a significant improvement in internet game play because of this.
- AUTO UPDATE SYSTEM - Within this release is an Auto Update system that can be used to at any time to check for and download updates to Quake 3 and Team Arena. When you install the new code, a file will be created in your Quake III Arena directory and in the Start Menu called: "Check For Quake III Arena Updates". Running this file will check our servers for updates and notify you if there is a newer version or inform you that your files are up to date. The auto updater will create a directory on your C: where downloaded updates will be stored. It is important that you DO NOT delete this directory. If you plan to uninstall Quake III, make sure to uninstall all of the point releases as well. (Auto Update is for Win32 systems ONLY.)
- NEW RAIL, ROCKET LAUNCHER, PLASMA GUN, and LIGHTNING GUN EFFECTS - There have been several new weapon effects that we’ve managed to sneak into this release. We’ve turned them off in the game by default, but you can enable them from the console by pressing the ~ key and typing the following commands:
\cg_oldRail 0 (enables the new rail effect)
\cg_oldRocket 0 (enables the new rocket effect)
\cg_oldPlasma 0 (enables the new plasma effect)
\cg_trueLightning 0.5 (enables the new lightning gun effect)
In addition, the colors of the new rail effect can be changed with the cvars \color1 and \color2 with values of 1 through 8. (ex. \color1 1 or \color2 5). The new Rail gun effect was donated from the Alliance mod team http://www.planetquake.com/alliance/ The new Lightning gun effect was donated from the CPMA mod team http://www.promode.org/
- NEW CHEATING COUNTER MEASURES - There has been quite a bit of new code added to make it much more difficult to cheat and hack the game. We’d tell you more, but that would be defeating the purpose... Rest assured that it will be harder to cheat than ever before.
- NEW PROTOCOL CHANGE - The changes made to improve network code and prevent cheating will make this and future version of Quake 3 and Team Arena incompatible with older versions. This will affect older versions of demos as well. We wish it were possible to maintain game compatibility through each release, however major code changes limit our ability to do so.
QUAKE III ARENA AND TEAM ARENA EDITING CHANGES
- TEAM SELECTION - When a player starts a game with map or devmap the team logos displayed will be the last two teams used in the single player game. The console cvars g_blueteam and g_redteam commands will allow server admins to change the teams being played on dedicated servers.
- Q3:TA TEAM CREATION - It is now possible to create original Team Arena teams with new team logos, body models, head models, voices and skins. Previously the code had been designed to limit the game to use of two body models (James & Janet). With this point release, hobbyists who know their way around the skills of model-making, animating, and skinning can make new team content for Team Arena. The "how-to" details for the creation of new teams are extensive and will be documented in a separate publication. These new teams will be available for use in single player, and multiplayer games.
- INCREASED VERSATILITY FOR USER-CREATED TEAM SKINS IN Q3A AND Q3:TA - When a user-created skin for a model is accompanied by a set of similarly named matching team color skins, the game will now use those instead of the model’s default team skin. For things to work right you have to have the following in the pak file for a blue team skin for and example skin for the Crash model name Hellion:
Note that the head_hellion_blue.skin file must be in the crash directory and the head_blue.skin must be in the crash/Hellion directory for the model to work properly. A model configured in this manner will be back-compatible with earlier versions of Q3A.
The search process for model skins has been refined for core Q3A and Q3:TA. Details will be in the Team Creation document to follow. Essentially, the game will look deeper into model directories when looking for model head selections.
- NEW MODEL ANIMATION COMMANDS -
Fixedlegs : put in the animation .cfg this command freezes the programmatic rotation of the legs.
Fixedtorso : put in the animation .cfg this command freezes the programmatic rotation of the torso.
- MAPMAKING CHANGES - ENTITIES CAN BE SET TO APPEAR (OR NOT) BASED ON GAME VERSION. Map makers now have the option to make their maps use different entity sets if a game is being played in original Quake III Arena or in Quake III: Team Arena. By adding one of the following key/value epairs, the mapper can create conditional tests that look for what code is being used or NOT being used to run the game.
KEY: "notq3a" (i.e.; Not Quake III Arena)
VALUE: "1" or "0" The default value is zero for an unmarked entity. If this value is set to 1, the marked entity will not appear if the game is played with "vanilla" (unmodified) Quake III Arena game code. Example: A Chaingun from Q3:TA could be marked with this epair. It would show up in Q3:TA game, but not in a Q3A game.
KEY: "notta" (i.e.; Not Quake III: Team Arena)
VALUE: "1" or "0" The default value is zero for an unmarked entity. If this value is set to 1, the marked entity will not appear if the game is played with the Team Arena expansion set and its game types.
Should you want an entity to NOT appear in either game type (Q3A or Q3TA), you would set BOTH keys to 1. In this case, it would work with any other game mod which supports that entity
If botplay is desired, these epairs should not be used on entities, such as func_statics, that significantly change the flow of the game map.
NOTE TO USERS WANTING TO UNINSTALL QUAKE 3
If you running a Windows OS and want to uninstall Quake III Arena and Quake III Team Arena it is EXTREMELY important that you follow these steps, in this order.
- 1) From the control panel, remove any point releases that you have installed. They will be labeled (Quake III Arena Point Release (1.29f) BETA, or something similar).
- 2) From the control panel, remove Quake III Team Arena, if you have it installed.
- 3) From the control panel, remove Quake III Arena.
FIXED ISSUES WITH TEAM ARENA AND QUAKE 3
- Fixed sound bug (with Graeme hints) -- this crashed some mods
- Made sure Sys_Printf doesn't get into an endless loop if logfile is on
- Fixed qconsole.log issues, +set logfile 1 +set fs_debug 1 was crashing
- Fixed logfile 1 / ttycon 1 issue, didn't exit properly (same endless looping)
Also fixes an issue reported by q3f team
- Changed rcon commands from Com_DPrintf to Com_Printf so that they show up
in the console (with IP information)
- Fixed autodownload toggle in q3 ui
7-31-01 (version 1.29h BETA)
- Mouse sensitivity and wheel issues have been addressed (see top)
- A known server crash exploit has been addressed
- Frame rate should be back to normal for those that experienced problems
- Installers will now give users the proper Pak files (this has been causing some connection and pure issues)
7-26-01 (version 1.29g)
- Players joining (and apparently leaving) the game cause everyone to hitch
- fs_handleforfile: none free ERROR
- After last level of tier game doesn't stay on trophy screen, instead it takes you directly to next tier screen
- No sound in NT 4.0 at all with 1.29f PR
- There is a shader bug in Pro-q3dm6
- developer cheats like R_Showtris have been disabled in the PR (they were never disabled, the user simply needs to run the game with “+set developer 1” minus quotes, at the command line.
- made /startOrbit cheatprotected
- Rcon issues now resolved.
- fs_basegame isn't published to clients
- fixedlegs command in the animation config is apparently not working
- + and – cvars fixed
6-18-01 (version 1.29f)
- scoreboard problems within TA. Scoreboard was reporting the wrong number of players and ghost players
- Problems with NT 4.0 and Sound within version 1.27h
- single player crash when a player would replay q3dm0 in single player mode
- In TA, if a player gets an award sound in warmup, the sound will repeat for no reason once the map restarts
- single player bug that would change the fraglimit and capture limit of single player maps
- proxmine sounds trying to be loaded in non-TA game
- wrong "Transfer rate" being reported on autodownloads in CTF
- If a password on a dedicated server is set, bots cannot connect
- r_lodcurseerror is not cheat protected
- Single player all maps, can get stuck in third person view after round is over
- Crash - Scrolling through the players Handicap during single player match
- Auto-download problems in certain cases
- Player model animation/After giving orders, player becomes stuck in animation
- Users not being able to change music in maps
- Guard Cheat...Set your handicap at 10,000 via the console then pickup a guard. It sets your health at some insane value (16000 or so)
- Crash - starting a sever, filling all slots with bots
- Voteable maps are based on client's gametype - not server's
- set predictable player events to zero on spawn because the prediction is out of sync anyway
- double player entity events (double events a client plays on other players in the game)
- synced client shotgun spread pattern with server
- server crash on map load due to sending config strings
- Some of the orders in the in-game menu function wrong
- Mouse sensitivity being altered by changes made in code that communicates with direct input
- Demos in Quake III 1.27g not showing up
- + \dir models/players/ tga.......the first letters of the filenames are omitted
- Add cvar "fs_baseGame" which allows people to base mods upon mods
- Quake3 - Single Player - Warnings received on q3dm0
- You don't hear the opponent taking the jumppad until u see him
- have a dedicated server reference the cgame.qvm in the last pk3 found when alphabetically ordered; for pure
- If you use forcemodel now in singleplayer it will default you to sarge and not let you choose another model to use.
- TA defaults to setting a time limit instead of a frag limit on single player games
- Q3A/Q3:TA specific flag on entities
- In CTF, if a user times out with the flag it is gone from game until map is restarted
- "spawn inside a player" bug
- Add OSP TAB in TA and fixed alliance tab in server browser
- Quake3 - Single Player - Warnings received on q3dm0
- if a user times out with the flag it is gone from game until map is restarted
- TA and Q3 Screenshot overwrite bug.
- Voice taunt bug where sounds were being queued then released all at once.
- Dedicated server crash bug (Server would crash after 48hrs, every time)
- James model Error bug
- AutoJoin, Autobalence Bug...Probably related to scoreboard bug
- The intermission screen in a single player game has a button for "demo", that hints at a demo playback of the game that you just finished, however it does not work
- Shell - start server, CTF bot list is in FFA format
Very special thanks to Josh Ferguson and everyone at MindVision Software for all of their help.