The UVic Writer's Guide
-Able & -Ible
- If the root exists independently of the compound (fix/fixable).
- If the root ends in "y" (deny/deniable).
- If the root's derivatives use "a" (separate/separable)
- If the root ends in a hard "c" or "g" (despicable, huggable).
- If the root is not an independent word (visible)
- If there is a related -ion form (permission/permissible)
- If the root ends in -ns or -miss (reprehensible, dismissible)
Topics About Spelling
Table of Contents
Copyright, The Department of English, University of Victoria,
This page updated Sept 23, 1995